[Coco] Microsoft files for patent on "modular operating system"

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Jan 31 22:45:02 EST 2007

> All of Windows from 1.0 through ME with the exception fo NT3.1 through XP are
> built on a DOS OS.  In some aspects that could be considered an operating
> environment while DOS was the true OS. NT3.1, including its decendant XP, was
> influenced by Vax VMS OS. WIndoze NT3.1 was really MS first true windowing
> OS that was not an overlay onto MS DOS. XP is the merging of the DOS based
> systems with the old VMS influenced original OS.

I may not know my history very well, but I thought NT was based on OS/2
*and* I thought OS/2 was Microsoft's first true windowing OS.  True, it
was a joint deal with IBM, but Microsoft was heavly involved.  If true, I
suppose if anything OS/2 was a stepping stone between VMS and NT.  Anyone
know more?

 	Dan