[Coco] Microsoft files for patent on "modular operating system"

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Jan 31 18:22:40 EST 2007

On 31 Jan 2007 at 16:54, tonym wrote:

> From: Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com>
> <coco at maltedmedia.com> Date:  Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:50:19 -0600
>
> >Another darn thing about this patent... are they trying to say nobody
> > can break their operating system software into PARTS?  That is
> >insane.  Everything that's anything today works in modular form so
> >you can upgrade, replace, patch, fix, alter, customize, etc.
> >
> >A non-modular system would be what?  A single stream of code, a
> >single program, that can't call on any other system parts?  This will
> > never go.  Ofcourse, I haven't read the details so I'm just tooting
> >the horn.
> >

> Technically, isn't 99% of Windows, along with other OS's, more akin to
> "Operating Environment," with the "Operating System" being a very
> teeny-weeny portion of it?
>
> Tony

> Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.compusource.net

All of Windows from 1.0 through ME with the exception fo NT3.1 through XP are
built on a DOS OS.  In some aspects that could be considered an operating
environment while DOS was the true OS. NT3.1, including its decendant XP, was
influenced by Vax VMS OS. WIndoze NT3.1 was really MS first true windowing
OS that was not an overlay onto MS DOS. XP is the merging of the DOS based
systems with the old VMS influenced original OS.

james