[Coco] Orchestra 90CC

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 29 09:47:08 EST 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:08:44 -0600, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:

> Marcus Vinicius Garrett Chiado wrote:
>> How many games actually use Orchestra 90? More than 10?
>>
>> I haven't found any on eBay...
>>
>> :-(
>>

> It looks like very few use Orch-90.  More use the SSC.  I quote myself
> below:
>
> "According to L. Curtis Boyle's games list, John R. Strong still sells
> two games for $15 each that support the Orchestra-90 CC: Soviet Bloc,
> which is a Tetris clone, and Gems, which looks like a game called
> JewelBox that I've played in Linux.
>
> It looks like Ghana Bwana, Adventure In Mythology, Lansford Mansion,
> Gantlet, The Interbank Incident, Gold Runner II, and Martian Crypt
> support the SSC if present."
>
> The Orch-90 is used more for music.

     I should mention that I have made quick patches to OS-9 games (and
OS-9/NitrOS9 itself) to use the Orch-90 for full 8 bit sound, including
Kyum-Gai:To Be Ninja (which actually has 8 bit samples in the code; it
masks out the unused 2 bits). I even had plans to add stereo support to
the standard OS-9 calls, but never quite got that far (the TC-9 driver did
use native 8 bit sound, though, and it would work fine with the Orch-90
pak as well).

--
L. Curtis Boyle