[Coco] CoCo 4 (or 5) perspectives: close hardware emulation?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Jan 28 20:50:07 EST 2007

At 02:55 AM 1/26/2007, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Given the mere mentioning of a CoCo4 gets so many people off their chairs
>and starts them musing makes me wonder why this has not been realized a long
>time ago. For me too, a CoCo 4 would be a dream come true. Just to prove
>that the CoCo *is* able to go this little push further. What most of us want
>is after all a more advanced computer that can to a more than the CoCo3, but
>still has the same 'feel' and backwards compatibility.
>
>Basically, we want a genuine CoCo that can beat the snot out of an Amiga
>2000!

These talks *have* been going on for years, like 15 or so.  In my
most humble opinion, and at the risk of p'eeing off some people, it's
a waste of bandwidth talking about a "CC-Five?" when there was never,
and probably never will be, a "CoCo 4".

I must admit that in the far past I've shared an idea or two towards
the talks of a post-CoCo 3 computer, but I quickly learned that most
of us shared the same tendancy to dream about such a computer, and
that's about as far as it has ever gone, with the exception of
Cloud-9's efforts to make so many modern add-ons.

Cloud-9 is your CoCo 4.  These guys have come closer than anybody to
giving us what we could call a souped-up CoCo beyond what anybody
thought was possible.  It has taken years to come up with this stuff,
and one product that has been in the planning for (dare I say 10
years?) has yet to arrive, although the features of that product are
probably already achievable from other combined products.  What I'm
getting at is this: you cannot just turn these ideas into reality
overnight, or in a few years.

I say we have a CoCo 4 already if we just soup the 3 up using these
modern gadgets, and let the "Five" talks go to sleep with us tonight.  ;)