[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Jan 27 11:33:31 EST 2007

Mark McDougall wrote:
> Joel Ewy wrote:
>

>> Have any idea about what percentage of likely FPGA
>> candidates would be consumed by something like an off-the-shelf PIC core?
>>

> No idea, sorry. But the T80 (Z80) core takes 2302 LEs in a Altera Cyclone II
> EP2C35, which is 6.9%. John's CPU09 (6809) core takes 2599 LEs, about 7.8%.

Just for comparison, there's a PIC core on OpenCores.org that takes 321
Xilinx  Virtex 'slices', which Google tells me are worth 2 Altera LEs.
http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/risc16f84/overview  So this
would be about a quarter the size of the CPU.  I guess you could throw
simple microcontrollers in there like party favors.
> The EP2C35 is a moderately-sized FPGA. High-end Stratix devices have up to
> 132,000 LEs - a 6809 would take about 2% of the device. You may argue that
> no hobbyist could afford such a device - and that's true - today!
>
> I'd still like to have a crack at the TI 4-bit micro... the difficult part
> is verifying the implementation...

I just searched my Thunderbird copy of this list.  It looks like Tim
Lindner has gone a long way toward implementing SSC emulation in MESS.
You're probably already aware of that...