[Coco] [Color Computer] Older site.

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jan 25 23:36:56 EST 2007

Dan Olson wrote:
>> I got a 1.5M RAM upgrade (w/RTC) for my A1000 (the Insider II), bringing
>> the total up to 2M.  That gave me enough RAM to keep some utilities in
>> the RAM disk, which was crucial because I only had a single floppy.  I
>> remember hooking up to Delphi at $1/hr using a 2400bps modem on the
>> A1000.  Then I'd use 720K DOS floppies to transfer downloaded files from
>> the Amiga to the CoCo 3.  2M still seemed like a lot of memory to me in
>> 1990.
>>
> In 1990 that *was* a lot, our family had a stock 1040ST back then and it
> wasn't all that old.  I've been thinking of a memory upgrade for it, one
> of my 500s is new enough that I was able to add RAM to the board, but
> otherwise lack any expansion.  I currently use a 500 from time to time at
> 9600 baud as a terminal on my Linux machine :)
Nice.  I finally found an A500 system with a hard drive and WB 2.0.
(And this one will boot from the HD.)  I just use it for playing around,
running DigiPaint, looking at pictures in HAM, and so on.
I've always wanted an Atari ST and never been able to find one for sale
locally.  There was a hobby store in Wichita that used a 520ST with some
kind of POS program at the register as recently as a couple years ago.
They may still.  I've played around with Debian M68k on old Macs (IICi,
Quadra 630s, 700s, 840AVs) but I've always wanted to run it on an Atari
or Amiga.  The hardware is better supported.  But Ataris and Amigas with
appropriate CPUs don't come cheap, whereas I have found tons of
appropriately equipped 68K Macs for free.  Maybe someday.  My Amigas
still have 68000s, though the 500 with the HD has a 16MHz 68000 accelerator.
> Is there an Amiga utility
> for reading/writing CoCo disks?  I've always thought it'd be neat to hook
> a 5.25" drive to the Amiga as well, but other that file transfers, it
> doesn't seem useful....

I've never been aware of one.  I just used DOS formatted disks with MSH
on the Amiga and PCDOS on the CoCo.  It wasn't the most convenient
arrangement, but it worked, and was slightly less irritating than
unhooking the modem from the Amiga, plugging a null-modem cable in, and
using sz/rz.