[Coco] CCASM winclude/wincludebin

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Jan 24 15:10:20 EST 2007

At 03:16 PM 1/23/2007, you wrote:
>At the very least you would need a way to limit your "winclude" to a
>particular version. That means you have to mix version control into
>the system. If I have tested my code with a particular snippet, I
>generally don't want the snippet to change even if someone thinks
>"well, this is better..."

I can think of many reasons why http:// located source code could
change and not introduce code bugs or versioning issues.

A database project could contain 2 files called "WebExample.asm" and
"http://www.rainbowide.com/source/latestzipcodes.asm" which would
build into a zipcode lookup program for the CoCo that contains up to
date zipcodes automatically.  These are files that you DO want to
change to be accurate and they won't break your program since it's
database information.  If that zipcode file is known be located at a
USPS web site location and free for public access then you're work is
done without doing a shred of research or having to maintain your own
huge zipcode file, which from experience I know is not fun.  They
change all the time, believe it or not.

Actually, I'm thinking of giving the Rainbow IDE the power to import
source from http:// URLs instead of putting that feature in
CCASM.  This will give All assemblers used by the IDE the same
abilities.  Just name your source file with the prefix of http:// and
the IDE can do all the work.  This will be my tests today to see how
well it works.

A "Make Local" right-click option could be used for each source file,
which would allow you to edit the file since the read-only flag will
be removed, and when it's saved back it becomes a normal project file
anyway, read-only or not.  How about that?  Almost zero overhead from
the programmer.