[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Jan 24 00:06:08 EST 2007

> You forgot one thing that's going to be the make-or-break of any such
> project - namely Software.
>
> Without software you can't make use of a new MMU or expanded memory.
> Without software you can't access the new peripherals; storage devices,
> sound chips, mice.
> Without software you can't make use of the new graphics modes. There
> will be *NO* application software that can use these new modes. New
> versions of BASIC(/09) will have to be written. New paint programs. New
> text mode drivers for enhanced text modes.

The only thing you can do in this case is to make the hardware run the old
software well enough to be useful without the use of new MMU or expanded
modes.  This is exactly the same as the CoCo3, really.  I own a CoCo2 and
of course can't use any CoCo3 software, get enough new hardware out there
and the new software will follow.  If you don't want to have hardware with
no software support, then the new system would have to be basically the
same as current CoCo hardware, just faster clock speeds, VGA or DVI output
with the current video modes, etc.

 	Dan