[Coco] CC-Five (was Re: Pseudo CoCo4???) (LONG)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 22 10:44:46 EST 2007

Mark

You have echoed the exact sentiments that I  have. If you improve the  hardware
with great new features then who is going to write software for it?

As for technology,  chips like FPGAs are changing rapidly.  Most new chips are
not easily backward compatible with older five volt logic. That requires not only
an HDL version of a faster super 6809/6309,  it requires the redesign of many
peripheral devices. As for Xilinx their line of five volt FPGAs are now history and
the Spartan 2 line is the last that is 5 volt tolerent. The Spartan 2E is the last of
that line still in production and it does "NOT" have 5 Volt tolerent I/Os.

I can allocate part of my time if there is a clear direction as to where the
community wants to go. I have hardware design experience. I think it would be a
challenge to create a super COCO that would use more modern peripheral
devices.

james