[Coco] CCASM winclude/wincludebin

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Jan 23 16:38:03 EST 2007

At 02:14 PM 1/23/2007, you wrote:
>Great idea, but...
>
>What happens if the website is down, or the drive in your server gesplodes?
>What if you're on vacation, playing arm-candy for the wifey, and you don't
>have the Internut?[1] Would there be a way to (at least on first compile)
>cache the code locally so subsequent calls don't require that Internut thingy?

Yes, all source code files are stored in a Temp folder, no matter
whether they were loaded from a HD or the web.  True, internet
difficulties could be a temporary problem, but the whole world deals
with that already... the What If situations.

>I like the concept of the winclude function, and I certainly wouldn't "turn
>away" the thought of internet redistribution of source code, but it should
>have the ability of dealing with local copies (which I would prefer) and it
>might not be a bad idea to set up multiple servers so we're not reliant on
>one form of access or one server *to* access... Maybe have a configurable
>list of servers in a separate config file, and just put the path in the
>winclude statement? Then it could check 'em all until it finds a functional
>server, and you won't have to go change the source code by hand...

We have to walk before we run, so I'll stick with the complete URL in
the winclude function first then I'll look into the additional use of
a list of servers, but that would mean maintaining the files on
multiple servers and way more work to get a simple feature to
work.  However, good ideas that might just work.

I'm sure I could make CCASM read the last local copy if the file
cannot be retrieved from the web in subsequent attempts.  As long as
the internet is here, I can see it working fine just like everything
else we depend on.  ;)

>I'd be more than happy to set up a server or two - I'll have a couple
>machines (in different cities) that run webserver software if you like.

I already have that taken care of with multiple websites I own.  But thanks.