[Coco] CCASM winclude/wincludebin

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue Jan 23 15:14:53 EST 2007

Rumor has it that Roger Taylor may have mentioned these words:

[snippage]

>CCASM is about to gain two new features. A "winclude" directive for
>including source code sections, and a similar "wincludebin" directive
>for including raw data right into the codestream, from any web
>server.  Let me explain...
>
>         org     3584
>         winclude
> "http://www.rainbowide.com/source/coco3/lib/gamelibrary.asm"

Great idea, but...

What happens if the website is down, or the drive in your server gesplodes?
What if you're on vacation, playing arm-candy for the wifey, and you don't
have the Internut?[1] Would there be a way to (at least on first compile)
cache the code locally so subsequent calls don't require that Internut thingy?

I like the concept of the winclude function, and I certainly wouldn't "turn
away" the thought of internet redistribution of source code, but it should
have the ability of dealing with local copies (which I would prefer) and it
might not be a bad idea to set up multiple servers so we're not reliant on
one form of access or one server *to* access... Maybe have a configurable
list of servers in a separate config file, and just put the path in the
winclude statement? Then it could check 'em all until it finds a functional
server, and you won't have to go change the source code by hand...

I'd be more than happy to set up a server or two - I'll have a couple
machines (in different cities) that run webserver software if you like.

Just my dumb ideas,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

[1] Just happened to me a couple weeks ago... $10/day for 'net access?
Bzzzzt. Wrong answer. ;-)

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.