[Coco] Fwd: Disto 4-in-1 card manual

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 01:32:37 EST 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 00:22, Alex Evans wrote:
>I just received this inquiry.  If anyone can help I am sure that it
>will expand the community a bit.
>
>Begin forwarded message:
>> Hello Sir,
>>   I found your web page and was wondering if you have the booklet
>> that came with the 4 in 1 add on card. I have a SCII with one, I
>> found my SCII booklet and my C-Dos booklet, but cant find anything
>> on this one to know how to hook it up to a hard drive. I would
>> appreciate anything you have for it. I am also willing to share
>> anything I might have for the coco's.
>>
>> Thank You, Michael Rosen

Humm, did he get the scsi cable that goes with it?  Its a bit of an odd
bird because the interface in the 4n1 is only a 34 pin connector, exactly
the same style as a later floppy header.  To get to the 50 pin interface
on the drive, the ribbon cable is split into 2, 17 wire sections, and is
then crimped into the outside 17 contacts on each end of the 50 pin
connector that plugs into the drive.

This, because the tp wire isn't there in the cable, requires the terms on
the drive be enabled, and powered from the drive, so the drive will need
to have that jumper enabled.  And obviously the terms on the 4n1 must be
in place and powered.

Software will be 'scsisys' and I don't know where it can be had other than
on my drive, and getting it off and to him could be a problem.  Floppy
support is disappearing from linux just as it has from the machines on
the shelf at circuit city. :(

The drive, due to the missing wires in the center, must be addressed in
the range of 0-3, not 0-7.  And again, because of the missing wires
prevent the handshaking that scsi drives sharing a cable depend on, its
limited to only one drive.  I hear that someone added the missing cable
between the drives only, and made 2 drives work, but I don't recall who
said that now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)