[Coco] OT: Yahoo IM update changing browser & search engine preferences.

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 22:25:59 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Cox <jimcox at miba51.com>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 2:46:36 PM
Subject: [Coco] OT: Yahoo IM update changing browser & search engine preferences.

Sorry for the OT post, but I know there are a lot of
people on the list who use Yahoo and therefore may be
using Yahoo's IM client.  I recently made a post to a
astronomy list on Yahoo that I am the moderator of,
suggesting people read the article I had read regarding
Yahoo IM auto-update changing their browser and search
engine preferences and suggesting an alternative to YIM.
This email was intended for the benefit of the list
members.  The email was tagged as spam by Yahoo, and as
moderator I had to approve my own posting.

I don't want to start a debate on this list, but I do
caution people about using the auto-update feature with
YIM.
<snip>

Well I for one don't allow auto-updates to run (except AVG, by my choice). I will update when *I* choose, period!  Whenever possible I use MSCONFIG to disable any autoupdaters as well as so-called "quick-start" apps that run on startup and may or may not put an icon beside the clock on the taskbar, but always result in a loss of system resources and longer startup time. Probably 80% of Windows' bad reputation is the direct result of bad software written by third parties.

cheers,
Bob