[Coco] OT: Yahoo IM update changing browser & search engine preferences.

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Fri Jan 12 15:46:36 EST 2007

Sorry for the OT post, but I know there are a lot of
people on the list who use Yahoo and therefore may be
using Yahoo's IM client.  I recently made a post to a
astronomy list on Yahoo that I am the moderator of,
suggesting people read the article I had read regarding
Yahoo IM auto-update changing their browser and search
engine preferences and suggesting an alternative to YIM.
 This email was intended for the benefit of the list
members.  The email was tagged as spam by Yahoo, and as
moderator I had to approve my own posting.

I don't want to start a debate on this list, but I do
caution people about using the auto-update feature with
YIM.
Below is a copy of the email I sent.  Other than listing
GAIM, I don't know what else made it look like Spam to
Yahoo.

Cheers!

Jim

Normally I would say this is inappropriate content for the
list, but since this is a Yahoo based list and majority of
people have Yahoo accounts and therefore may be using
Yahoo Instant Messenger, I thought as list moderator I
should make you aware that there may be issues with the
latest updates to Yahoo Instant Messenger as this article
indicates:

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007/01/yahoo-switching-ie7-settings-without-permission.html

If you are concerned about the possibility of Yahoo
changing your preferences against your will, may I suggest
another IM Client that is compatible with Yahoo IM, and
that is GAIM

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

This posting is not intended to spark any debate about
Yahoo, or anyone else. If you have any comments about this
posting, please contact me off list.

Now lets get back to star gazing :)

Thanks!

-Jim Cox