[Coco] HD63B09EP on ebay

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 09:51:14 EST 2007

Quoting Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net>:

> Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
>

>> If you're in the UK, and have a Dragon 32/64, then I can comfirm that
>> the 6309 works fine in that machine too, and it runs much cooler than
>> the 6809.
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you know if the Dragon 64 can be changed into
> a CoCo?

Possibly, infact one of my projects I intend to do at some point is a
dragon that can be both a dragon and a coco :) should be doable with a
new eprom and a bunch of LS chips. I have definatly run a CoCo basic
ROM in a dragon and it works fine.

> I thought the keyboard was physically wired differently, but the cart
> slot is the same.

This is true, though the difference is such that it is prety easy to
make an adapter that would allow it to function as a CoCo keyboard,
basically one of the sets of PIA lines is ordered differently, so if
you wanted to make a perminent conversiion it would just be a case of
swapping some of the lines. For the CoCo & Dragon in one case, I guess
some analogue mux chips would be needed, I believe there is one of the
4000 series that would fit the bill.

The cart port is the same, and you can use a CoCo controler on it, I
have done so, with a copy of SuperDos that I ported to the CoCo
controler hardware, drop me a private email if you want a copy.

If you installed CoCo eproms, then there would of course be no support
for the Dragon 64 serial port or the paralell port, you may however be
able to replicate the bit-banger circuit from the CoCo and use this.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Phill.