[Coco] model 4 cp/m

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Jan 6 17:35:26 EST 2007

> *Anyone* still using CP/M (or a C128 for that matter!:) is kinda
> strange. ;-)  But hey, you've got a Commodore that writes disks that
> other machines can read!

Now it's official :)  Of course, you need a 1571/1581 drive to actually
read/write standard disks.  Honestly I don't *use* it much, but do have
it.

> Yes, file transfer across different architectures is an issue for
> me. ;-)

With the model 4?  I thought Apple and Commodore using the older drive
were the only weird disk formats out there.  Though, any more, 8" floppy
or single density could cause trouble.

> I've always wondered: Can you use C128 CP/M to transfer files to/from
> native Commodore disks?

I think there is a way to do that, though honestly I never tried as CP/M
is the only thing I've got on C128 disk that I need to read/write.  I did
transfer files in Kaypro format (I think) as both the C128 and PC could
read/write that.

Speaking of weird, I always thought it would be need to get an XT running
CP/M using an NEC V20 in 8080 mode :)  That'd make writing those CP/M
disks on the PC a little easier!

> A C128 running CP/M pretends to be a Kaypro, right?  As far as CP/M
> goes that's a fairly sane machine.

It's not a bad machine, I think it uses the kaypro disk format as one of
the prefered formats, but is it's own beast otherwise.  It's got a good
keyboard and 80x24 video, but unfortunatly came along a little too late to
be of much use as a "business" computer.

 	Dan