[Coco] OT: Keeping Current.... ("loaded" Linux Qs)

John R. jhoger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 01:01:56 EST 2007

Ubuntu... install is pretty smooth, automatically advises you of
updates and installs them. It even automatically recognized my
wireless card and properly suspends to RAM when I close the lid.

Wine is fine but I suggest plunking down the $40 for CrossOver Office.
This is a commercial flavor of Wine with support that is tested to run
MS Office and some other applications. Photoshop may run on it, check
the codeweavers web site.

Windows XP crashed on my wife's laptop, and when I re-installed a
Windows XP Professional install CD it wouldn't accept the key. So I
wiped it out and put Ubuntu + CrossOver since the only apps she uses
beyond web browser (Firefox) and instant messaging is MS Office. the
Gnome UI is familiar enough to her that she isn't having any
difficulties.

-- John.