[Coco] OT: Keeping Current.... ("loaded" Linux Qs)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 23:55:22 EST 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007, farna at att.net wrote:
>I'm going to stick my neck out with this off-topic post simply because
> you guys are up on Linux, and I'm not! If you have a long answer or
> "strong" opinion it may be best to send directly to me. I know this is
> the CoCo List, but I don't know any other pro Linux group that I feel I
> can trust -- at least most who have been responding to Linux issues are
> familiar, trusted names!
>
>I have two "loaded" questions:
>
>1. What do you recommend for a computer USER -- someone who doesn't want
> to get into a lot of tinkering and programming, including compiling
> distributions and such. I've got a live disk of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and a
> Freespire live CD of unknown version -- it says 2006, and was picked up
> at a computer show in October 2006. I've read a lot about SimplyMEPIS
> though, sounds really good for a Linux beginner. I hope to load WINE so
> I can continue running Adobe PageMaker 6.0 for a while, as I test some
> of the Linux DTP programs. I was planning on using OpenOffice, but also
> want the ability to run MS Office (XP, 2005 version) as well when/if
> necessary. My understanding is WINE will do that. I don't want a dual
> boot system -- when I give up XP, I don't want to look back! Easy
> updates is important, and something similar looking/working to XP is
> important just to reduce the learning curve. You guys play with Linux,
> do you really USE it as a main OS??
>
>2. As if the above isn't enough, which GUI has the best support as far
> as software, easy updates, and ease of use? KDE or Gnome? I'm leaning
> toward KDE -- specifically MEPIS of KUnbuntu. Gnome doesn't look bad
> though. I'm leaning toward KDE since Scribus uses KDE's drag'n'drop
> feature, but that appears to be all that will be lost if using Gnome.
> So which is easier to use?

For you Frank, I'd say kubuntu-6.06.  Install, then let adept update it to
current status, which I believe will bring the KDE up to 3.5.4.  And
OpenOffice will open, and save, more than 90% of the windows stuff.  This
is the distro that has promised long term support, unlike most linux's
where the previous version is pretty well laid aside when  newer one
comes out.

The only thing that will get in your hair is that those things which
normally require root privileges will require that you call them with
a 'sudo' in front of the command, or from the gui they'll still ask you
for your password, your own password is good, but they want to remind you
that the program you want to run does have the potential authority to
hose the system if miss-used.

I use it on one machine only, and it runs my milling machine in the shop.
Its probably the most bulletproof install I have.  It Just Works(TM).

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)