[Coco] RELIC Is Coming (was Re: [ON TOPIC] The Amsterdam Compiler Kit)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Feb 27 14:57:20 EST 2007

L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:27:07 -0600, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Boisy, this looks really interesting.  I've recently started looking at
>> BASIC09 again, and having fun with it.  What kind of subset is "Ragin'
>> Basic"?  I'd love to see this work.  Keep us informed!
>>
>> JCE
>
> OmniBasic is/was a commercial endeavor that was pretty close to
> BASIC09 (it was originally a basic compiler for OSK), that was
> cross-platform between OSK, DOS, Windows and Linux. They were starting
> on a native Windows only version again (I have a very early beta), but
> development of that seems to have stopped. We use the cross platform
> version 2.1 here at my work, and have since Omni-Basic for DOS 1.43,
> and early 1.2x versions on OS-9000.
>    Since work ran on a Coco 3 system for years (1989-~1997) using
> BASIC09, it made porting over to DOS (and then Windows) much easier.
> There was a brief sojourn into OS-9000 on a 386 system, but the
> peripheral support wasn't there.
> To see what I am talking about, check www.omnibasic.com

I think I've been vaguely aware of Omni-Basic in the past.  Maybe
compatibility with O-B would be a nice goal for future Ragin' Basic
development.  The more existing software that can easily be ported to a
new programming language / compiler the greater the likelihood of it
being successful (which I guess just means "widely used".)

JCE