[Coco] Free OS-9 Documentation!!!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 18:38:08 EST 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>At 06:05 PM 2/24/2007 -0500, John Murphy wrote:
>>6.0x of the Reader *is* very old.
>>The current version of the Reader is 8.0x.
>>The old versions were recently *patched* to eliminate a severe security
>>vulnerabilty.
>>It's been six weeks since the vuln was fixed, not since  version 6 was
>>released.
>
>At least they're patching. I loathe anything Adobe, so until they're
>updater says my version won't work anymore, it'll stay there.
>
>But that doesn't address the original problem. Ghostview also doesn't
> see anything past the first few pages, nor does Pagemaker (the original
> document creator).
>
>Dennis

What you may be running into is that the document contains some PDL-3.0
functions (Postscript Description Language) extensions, and I guarantee
your old version won't deal with it, and neither did xpdf until about 6
months ago.  Now it all Just Works(TM), and its a free download, so why
not update?  I don't think the winderz version has the startup script bug
the linux version has & we've fixed.

Ghostview, (I don't have it installed even, but I do have kghostview,
which another animal entirely) in fairly recent versions, doesn't do
pdf's at all, Dennis, unless the launching script is smart enough (and it
probably is) to tell the difference between a .ps file and a .pdf file.
If its a .ps, call gs to render, if its a .pdf, call xpdf to render.
That pdf code has been stripped out of gs and re-used in xpdf and
friends.  My gs is currently at 8.15.3 and only does postscript, complete
with all current extensions to that language.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)