[Coco] [Color Computer] OS-9 docs?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Feb 23 22:53:51 EST 2007

James Diffendaffer wrote:
> Are there any downloadable OS-9 docs out there?
> I'm setting up a virtual hard drive under Nitros-09.
> I can get around but it's different from other operating systems I've
> used and I need some sort of guide.

Actually, Boisy wrote a pretty decent little manual in the style of the
CoCo Color BASIC books, called "Getting Started with NitrOS-9".  The PDF
was up on nitros9.org, and has been archived by the Wayback Machine at
archive.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060424061843/http://www.nitros9.org/

Maybe Boisy could put this on Sourceforge sometime.  :)

At 66 pages it may not be quite as comprehensive as the Rad Shak
manuals, but should cover most of the basics.  And others have pointed
you to copies of the original manuals.  I would still recommend you
check out "GSWNOS9" though, because there are some minor syntax
differences between the original utilities and some of the
Nitro-versions.  Between all the above manuals, the source code, and the
mail list, there shouldn't be much you won't be able to figure out.

And here's a quick'n'dirty rule of thumb:  OS-9 has UNIX-like features,
but the names of the commands read more like DOS.

JCE