[Coco] [Color Computer] What happend to http://www.nitros9.org/

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 18:44:23 EST 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 03:08 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
>>Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>> >I spoke too soon it seems.  After several hours of a file (or less) a
>> >minute average speeds, its finally bailed out with a signal 11,
>> > whatever that is.
>>
>>SIGSEGV -- Segmentation Fault.
>
>Ah, the ole unexplained, generic, leave the programmer guessing,
>Segmentation Fault error.  I researched onec on this and turned up no
>answers.  :)   When I was writing the CoCo Cafe CGI script, it would
>run under Windows just fine but under Linux I would get that error so
>much that I almost pulled my hair out.

Yeah, generally that's a memory error, caused by accessing memory that
either your process doesn't own, or that gave some sort of an error in
hardware.

That would be, if it was on the local machine, grounds to reboot to a
floppy with a copy of memtest86 on it and let it put the big hammer on
the memory looking for errors.  Let it run about a day.  I'd bet it will
have some fun before then.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)