[Coco] Wireless transmission power boost

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 18:39:58 EST 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 02:20 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
>>Gains for reception and transmission are the same.
>
>That's good to know.  I thought maybe the transmitting circuitry had
>to put some UMMPH behind the sending power from within the wireless
> device.

Nope, antenna gain, a byproduct of its directionality, is absolutely
bi-directional unless there is something in the near field to absorb
power.  Pringle cans are wunnerfull things when you need to reach several
miles, the record being 39 miles I believe. A google search will spit out
at least 50 designs based on the original pringle can idea.

And if the moon wasn't such a sponge due to surface roughness dispersion
at those frequencies, a couple of 10 foot well shaped old c-band
satellite dishes could probably be used for moon-bounce.  Their gain
would be 50 some db if still in good figure.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)