[Coco] [Color Computer] What happend to http://www.nitros9.org/

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 16:42:47 EST 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>>I spoke too soon it seems.  After several hours of a file (or less) a
>>minute average speeds, its finally bailed out with a signal 11,
>> whatever that is.
>
>SIGSEGV -- Segmentation Fault.
>
>Google found me this:
>
>"""Usually a fatal signal 11 will mean some sort of parity errors in
> your RAM or other hardware faults. I had this once when `cc1' got
> corrupted due to a race condition and bad blocks on my hard disk. There
> have also been reports that overheating chips, (not french fries), can
> also produce such errors. And watch for poor IDE controller/drive
> combos that are being run faster than the standard 8MHz AT bus clock.
> These can give the same errors by causing corruption of the swap space.
>
>         Usually, a signal 11 (segmentation violation) means that a
> process tried to access memory out of its process space, or tried to
> write into a read-only location.  Sometimes, this signal is caused by
> software bugs, not by hardware faults (or your system would hang
> repeatedly, because the same thing happened to the kernel).  With gcc
> 2.3.3, some people could reproduce a lot of "signal 11"'s. """

I don't believe that is the case here unless its on sourceforges end.
This box has been bulletproof even if I am running the latest stable
kernel, 2.6.20-ck1.

Just for curiosity, I keep a cvs image of emc2 HEAD here that hasn't been
updated in about 9 months.  That tree is about 25 megs of source.  And a
cvs up -Pd took about 2:30 to hit an error because an external site
didn't resolve, one of the interface gui's comes from a different site.
That was one of the very last files it should have updated.  I have, on
the real machine out in the shop, performed a cvs up -Pd, followed by a
reconfigure and make to run in place, and been looking at it run my
machine in less than 10 minutes several times.

The server for that is on linuxcnc.org.

I was more or less ignored when I objected to the cvs being moved to
sourceforge, but it appears I was right.  Its going to be a PITA.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)