[Coco] CoCoFest (combined 8 bit?)

Leon Howell puritan_2076 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 12:44:04 EST 2007

> Myself, I would like to see a fest which covers all 5 of my formats of
> interest: (Timex) Sinclair, Commodore, Atari, MSX and Tandy. But those are
> just my particular interests, and others will have different combinations.

That sounds like the perfect combination to me. Apple was to expensive in the
old days - They were for schools (you can sell anything to the government and
charge whatever you want for it) businesses. CP/M is available for just about
everything, but Kaypros and Osbornes are also "business computers". Including
everything just wouldn't work. T/S, Commodore, Atari, CoCo, and MSX were
intended for home use, have similar features, etc. Also, not too many similar
computers were sold in large enough numbers to still have a "community" today.
The only other I might suggest adding to the list is the Coleco Adam.

> > At this point I don't think it will take away from a CoCoFest.

If we follow your advice, I don't think so either. You have some pretty good
ideas. But I do think we should be careful, see what happens, and be prepared
to change a few things the next time if we need to.

> > -- break even is the best the Chicago club can do. The CoCo might not be
> > the largest displayer at an all 8-bit show, but it would be interesting to
> > see what others are doing. Some of the hardware and such can be crossed
> > over, and just maybe some vendors and/or programmers will get an interest
> > in such.

This is a wonderfull idea!

> > It would be nice for a CoCo programmer and say an Atari programmer to swap
> > programs and cross port programs, and hardware makers to make minor mods to
> > things like the Atari USB so it will work with the CoCo, and have a CoCo
> > programmer write a driver. Everyone could win.

The Atari USB interface is ready? Wow, we really do need to get together with
other users!