[Coco] Questions about the Coco3 GIME Timer

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Tue Feb 13 16:45:12 EST 2007

At 10:27 AM 13/02/2007 -0500, Robert Gault wrote:
>  What I have not determined is when the new 12-bit value becomes
>effective if only $FF95 is changed. Is the change immediate or does it
>take place on the next count down.

>From what I've seen, only writes to $ff94 cause the timer to immediately
reload with the $ff94/$ff95 values.
When you write to $ff95, the timer will only reload with the new values when
it counts down to zero and retriggers.

>  The answers to these questions become important if the timer is used
>to measure a single interval. It will be important to know whether the
>timer can be loaded with a 16-bit register or whether two 8-bit loads
>are required, $FF95 then $FF94.

$ff95 then $ff94, otherwise the timer will use $ff94 + whatever was
previously in $ff95 for it's first countdown before reloading with the
correct value.

                                         John Kowalski (Sock Master)
                                         http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/