[Coco] [Color Computer] [coco] Coco CNC

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 07:27:37 EST 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 03:11, George's Coco Address wrote:
> [...]
Mmm, sorry George, didn't know I was.

>I'm not sure about the "standards". Where I work, in  MAZATROL the  Z
> axis goes from left to right. The X axiis goes from "to and from my
> belt buckle" the Y axis goes up and down.
>
>The "4" axis turns the table/tombstone and/or the 5 axis turn the rotary
>table/ or whatever is connected to that driver.
>
> I/we could be wrong, but that's the way these machines work where I am
>currently working.

Ahh, Mazak. Its entirely possible they have their own 'standard' axis
assignments.  I was describing how EMC does it, and EMC is direct from an
NIST project started back in the late 70's to facilitate the
modernization of our industrial facilities, published as PD at the time
and I assumed (incorrectly it seems) that all the other commercial
implementations would have followed suit.  EMC2 is a total re-write to
workalike but better since we have computing power 100x what was
available then, GPL'd, and is yet today under active development by about
10 core developers with as many as 25 cvs commits a day.  These guys have
in fact gone into shops such as yours and retrofitted several Mazak's to
be operated by EMC2 or later (EMC2.1 is out now).  EMC can handle up to a
6 axis machine, with much better motion ballistics that can lead to
considerably faster production.  EMC2 improves on EMC's motion ballistics
by another order of magnitude due to finally treating a backlash comp
move ballisticly, which the original didn't, and that of course limited
its top speed to something that could still handle the backlash
reversals.  Of course it can also handle spindle controls, coolant feeds,
tool changers etc.

The video interface itself is a marvel to watch.

They do a lot of development on IRC first, then commit.  I sub to 3 of
their mailing lists and fail utterly in keeping up with these guys, but
it sure is fun too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)