[Coco] Spam

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sun Feb 11 15:45:03 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Taylor" <operator at coco3.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 12:57 AM
Subject: [Coco] Spam

> Your presence on the web itself sets you up for spam e-mails.  I
> think the forums are set to hide your e-mail address that you used to
> sign up with.  This mailing list can be harvested, though?
>

> --
> Roger Taylor

Hi,

list members are a low risk (I expect and hope).

It is echoed to GMANE but the E-Mail addresses are replaced there with it's
own address for our posters.

I think the biggest hole is Yahoo, those member's E-Mail addresses CAN be
captured IMHO.

So, posting there is possible a problem. A strong reason to be careful with
our quoting when posting there.

Note: My "Known SPAM" count has dropped recently from ~650 to ~200 in the
last two weeks. Until about 3 months ago it was in the ~300 range. The ~650
count matched up with a report that I saw about SPAM increasing on the Web.

Earthlink marks all messages for addresses not in my online address book as
"Suspect". Then I and other Earthlink users vote if a message is SPAM. If a
message gets enough votes the message is removed from "Suspect" for all
users thus the number of messages I must vote on is very small.

Stephen H. Fischer