[Coco] Cubix on Coco3 , did it work?

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue Feb 6 13:18:59 EST 2007

Rumor has it that John R. may have mentioned these words:

>Actually, Perl (recently learned... it's my new hammer!) is really
>good for this type of thing.

Yes, it is (it was my new hammer a decade ago)... now my "New New
Hammer[TM]" is Python. "Least surprise" and all that jazz...

However, for anyone else wanting to diddle with the project, Perl's not
exactly a "given" on Win32 boxen. Mine, sure -- yours, prolly... but
outside the *nix world, it's not got a very large following. ;-)

I was hoping (at first, anyway) to keep the number of changes to the
original source (as it's not mine) to a minimum in case I needed to ask
Dave for assistance; wholesale discombobulation of the source could very
well close off a healthy support path.

> > However, I believe that he had an x86 cross-assembler available to compile
> > Cubix on, and now that the Rainbow IDE is available, I'm looking at trying
> > to work on getting the ball rolling again; if I can get Dave's assembler
> > grafted into Rainbow.
> >

>Would it not be easier to connect up these things at a shell prompt or use
>make?

Maybe if one (read: me) knew how to use make (I don't debug C, I *rebug*
C... ;-) that might be easier... but for testing purposes, Portal9 beats
the bejeebers outta burning ROMs & stuffing 'em into motherboards. ;-)

>But Rainbow IDE is probably more fun.

If it wasn't for emulation, I'd never have even suggested the project - I'd
have just asked Dave for the schematics for his machine & built one from
scratch... it'd be easier for me.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein