[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: POKE 65495,0

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Feb 4 16:58:18 EST 2007

On 4 Feb 2007 at 4:21, James Diffendaffer wrote:

> Well, I just ran a test on my E (I think) board Coco 1 and it ran over
> 8 seconds in high speed mode but it was a small BASIC program so I'm
> not sure if all RAM is ok or if it would consistently work with that
> long of a period with refresh off.
>
> As for me having "good dram"... we have no record of what good or bad
> DRAM is capable of so there's no basis for that statement. We do know
> some Coco's can't use this mode but we don't know if it's the DRAM of
> the board design.

***********

James

DRAM chips are specified for a period of time in which  the memory cell needs to
be refreshed. The basic construction of a dynamic ram cell bit is a well something
like a capacitor that holds charge and a NMOS transistor that acts as a switch.
The well that stores charge has a leakage path through the p type material of the
IC substrate to gorund. That leaskage path in combinatin with the low value of
capacitance that storage well presents has a defined period in which charge is
bled off to a level that is in the undefined region of standard TTL range for logic
levels. Depnding on IC construction this period is between 4 milliseconds and
about 100 milliiseconds.

By "good" I mean that  you have a set of ram chips that hold the well charge
longer than the specified time period. Still I have reservations that any dram can
retain a logic "one" charge for upwards to 8 seconds without refresh. Also I have
to point out that there is a remote possiblity that there is an error in the MC6883
data sheet. That is to say that switching to high speed may "not" disable the
refresh grants. That is the first t hing that comes to mind when  you report such
long periods of dram retention.

james