[Coco] MM/1, jpegshow, cliplib, and Andrzej Kotanski?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Feb 4 21:02:17 EST 2007

I've been discussing MM/1 stuff with Allen Huffman in private emails.
Got me thinking about things, and I fired up my MM/1 to look for some
files.  Andrzej Kotanski was responsible for jpegshow on the MM/1.  I
added support for Joel Mathew Hegberg's cliplib, so you could copy the
decoded JPEG images into the clipboard, then paste them into another
utility that would save them as CLUT IFFs, which would load *much*
faster than a JPEG would decode.  I'm sure I posted my modified version
online somewhere, but I don't see it on RTSI.com.  It might still have
been on Delphi, which has vanished into the aether.  It might have been
on Lucy.ifi.unibas.ch <ftp://lucy.ifi.unibas.ch>, which is also gone.  I
found the binary of my cliplib-enabled version of jpegshow, but not the
source.  It was probably lost when my MM/1's hard drives bit it.

1.  Does anybody remember this software?  Is there still a copy anywhere?
2.  When I Googled for Kotanski's email address, I noticed that Bob
Devries was asking the same question on this list in 03.  I found a
plausible address (ends in .pl) in a web posting from 05.  Before I try
it out and possibly annoy a complete stranger, did Bob or anybody else
ever find a more recent address for him?

If anyone's still interested in such things, I'll upload the modified
jpegshow binary to RTSI.com.  I just wish I could find the source.

In a related topic, I once had a verbal agreement with Joel Hegberg to
maintain the cliplib source.  I haven't done anything to it yet, but I
did find a floppy which, I believe, contains the code.  I might upload
that as well.

JCE