[Coco] [coco] Retro gaming...

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Dec 30 22:36:07 EST 2007

George Ramsower wrote:
>  I have just had an idea that some, most or all may think is stupid or crazy...
>
>  How about a new TEXT GAME as was Raaka Tu, Bedlam and the other early games for the coco?

Hey George,

I love text adventures.  I remember somebody brought an old CP/M machine
(I'm quite certain it was a NorthStar) to my 5th grade class, around
1979 or so and let us play "Hunt the Wumpus".  Not long after I got my
CoCo in the summer of 1980 I got Bedlam on cassette.  What fun that
was.  One great thing about text adventures is that they're a category
of program that can be written right now, that can be just as fun on the
CoCo 1, 2, or 3.

Even better than individual text adventures would be a new text
adventure generation system for the CoCo (or as you suggest, for
(Nitr)OS-9 -- as an owner of CoCos, a TC-9 Tomcat, and an MM/1, I think
targeting OS-9 and making the source available would cover the widest
range of machines.)  Something along the lines of TADS or ADRIFT would
be great, but even a simpler text adventure toolkit would be pretty cool

JCE