[Coco] [JunkMail] Fw: Midwest Snow fall.

Tony teamick at cox.net
Thu Dec 20 02:38:41 EST 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Tony Eamick wrote:
>
>> In 77 we had a snowfall that left a 20 deep drift on the 1 1/2 mi
>> stretch of road back to the lake I lived on in Indiana. I helped dig it
>> out the next day. There were 34 vehicles buried on that 1 1/12 mi of
>> road. This big bucket lift dug into the snowbank and came up with a
>> volkswagon in the bucket.
>>

> Chuckle, I hope it wasn't too badly damaged.  Front end loaders are so
> indiscriminate.
>
> I recall in 1961, I had gone to SD to build a few Titan 1's, and had gone home
> over a 3 day weekend of some sort, Christmas I think.  It had dumped about 4
> or 5 feet up in Montana a few days before, and had spent the next 2 or 3 days
> blowing it across SD without leaving much (55-65 mph winds) and dumping it on
> Iowa.
>
> I got down old US 6, 30 miles west of Des Moines to where the dirt road turned
> off down to where I'd camped Annie & the kids and found it had been drilled
> out one lane wide and about that deep.  Stopping from time to time I managed
> to locate the house by climbing on the roof of my old 52 Chrysler.  I blew
> the horn a few times, then started backing, ramming & shoveling till I had a
> pocket mashed into the snow bank big enough to put the car in so I wasn't
> blocking the road.  Then I started digging a tunnel to the house, backing out
> of it to toss each shovel full up over the bank.  Half an hour later I could
> hear another shovel working through the snow and started digging toward the
> sound.  It was Annie, who had shoveled a path from the house to within 25 or
> so feet of the road and then started tunneling too since it was by then over
> her head too.  We met in the middle & it took us an extra 15 minutes to get
> to the house & kids.  8-)
>
> It matches the worst winter I've been through as there was a bad one in
> Nebraska in the 70's too.
>
> I still miss that woman & she's been gone since June 30, 1969.  Fatal stroke
> at age 34.  And one damned fine lifetime partner till then... A great mother,
> cook, bedpartner & an absolutely deadly instinct shooter with a 30-06 when I
> built one for her.

I got lucky. Louise is still with me today, just as she was that night
on the road. Ours was one of the 34 cars and yes I said oh! shit! What
suprises me was how many people just sat in their cars. We hiked on in
to the lake and spent a warm night at my moms. I still remember the look
on her face that night when she found herself standing on something
solid and found  it was the top of someones car.