[Coco] [JunkMail] Fw: Midwest Snow fall.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 19 11:51:50 EST 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Tony Eamick wrote:

>In 77 we had a snowfall that left a 20 deep drift on the 1 1/2 mi
>stretch of road back to the lake I lived on in Indiana. I helped dig it
>out the next day. There were 34 vehicles buried on that 1 1/12 mi of
>road. This big bucket lift dug into the snowbank and came up with a
>volkswagon in the bucket.

Chuckle, I hope it wasn't too badly damaged.  Front end loaders are so
indiscriminate.

I recall in 1961, I had gone to SD to build a few Titan 1's, and had gone home
over a 3 day weekend of some sort, Christmas I think.  It had dumped about 4
or 5 feet up in Montana a few days before, and had spent the next 2 or 3 days
blowing it across SD without leaving much (55-65 mph winds) and dumping it on
Iowa.

I got down old US 6, 30 miles west of Des Moines to where the dirt road turned
off down to where I'd camped Annie & the kids and found it had been drilled
out one lane wide and about that deep.  Stopping from time to time I managed
to locate the house by climbing on the roof of my old 52 Chrysler.  I blew
the horn a few times, then started backing, ramming & shoveling till I had a
pocket mashed into the snow bank big enough to put the car in so I wasn't
blocking the road.  Then I started digging a tunnel to the house, backing out
of it to toss each shovel full up over the bank.  Half an hour later I could
hear another shovel working through the snow and started digging toward the
sound.  It was Annie, who had shoveled a path from the house to within 25 or
so feet of the road and then started tunneling too since it was by then over
her head too.  We met in the middle & it took us an extra 15 minutes to get
to the house & kids.  8-)

It matches the worst winter I've been through as there was a bad one in
Nebraska in the 70's too.

I still miss that woman & she's been gone since June 30, 1969.  Fatal stroke
at age 34.  And one damned fine lifetime partner till then... A great mother,
cook, bedpartner & an absolutely deadly instinct shooter with a 30-06 when I
built one for her.
------
Its been said that 95% of Americans will mutter Oh! shit! as they slide into
the ditch on bad roads.

The other 5% are from AK, MN, WI, MI, OH, PA or WV, and they'll holler "here,
hold my beer & watch this!"

:-)

--
Cheers, Gene