[Coco] Coco3 appears to be dead: green screen with no text.

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Dec 14 11:09:08 EST 2007

I agree with Bob! I recall some of the CoCo3s had a problem with light
corrosion on the contacts of the GIME as well. I'd pull the GIME then
clean the contacts in the socket and on the chip with alcohol. A Q-tip
works well. Then pull and re-seat all the memory chips. If you still
have a green screen after that I'm afraid the 6809 is blown. That's a
relatively common occurrence on all CoCos.

Cartridges in/out with the power on will eventually blow a 6809, since
all the lines are out there on the port and the power line is right next
to a data line. If you look at a late cartridge you'll note one land on
the edge connector is a bit shorter than the others. That's the power
line. It was shortened to reduce blown 6809s -- the power line doesn't
contact a data line as easily if the cartridge is slightly crooked when
going in/out. Early cartridges have all lands the same length.

Download my book from the website -- it has a trouble-shooting/repair
section that outlines most difficulties.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"