[Coco] Odd path behaviour

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Aug 24 03:30:05 EDT 2007

>From: "Paul Fitch" <pfitchjr at bellsouth.net>
>Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:33:54 -0400
>
>It ws my understanding that when you typed a command, OS9 (or in my case
>Nitros9) will first look in the CMDS directory as set by CHX, then the
>current data directory as set by CHD.  Right?

Sort of.  If it looks in the current data directory, it expects the
command to be a shell script.

>So why won't it run a command in my current data directory?  Instead I get
>an Error 215.

Because it's fussy like that.  Part of the OS's charm.

I think this is mostly handled in Shell.  I'm not quite sure how it
all works, myself.  Looking in the Technical Reference, F$Fork loads,
links, and runs a binary file from the executable directory.

If that fails, I would guess Shell then tries to fork something like
"shell < ./command"  If THAT fails, it gives up in disgust.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko