[Coco] [Color Computer] Nitros9 and Pipeman_Named.mn

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Aug 24 02:59:18 EDT 2007

>Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
>From: "emtwo01" <pfitchjr at bellsouth.net>
>Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:21:34 -0000

>dir -e >/pipe/BOB
>
>Now I've done this, and I get no errors when I do it.  However, I
>don't know how to get the info back out of the pipe.

Presumably, list < /pipe/BOB

That's how named pipes work on other operating systems.  Be aware that
due to OS-9's real-time heritage, the buffer associated with the name
is probably small and probably fixed-size.   I think there was a
recent thread about OSK named pipes, and those had a buffer size of
about 70 bytes, IIRC.

>a DIR /PIPE produces an ERROR #203 - Illegal Mode.

Not surprising. DIR only knows about RBF.  If this truly is old Burke
& Burke code, they probably had a special "pipedir" command.  On the
other hand, on other operating systems, named pipes are either
presented as files (UN*X) or you just have to know the pipename
(AmigaDOS).

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA