[Coco] What are some good starting points for a CoCo noob (me)?

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 19:51:44 EDT 2007

To Hex Star:

FIRSTLY:  in my not so humble opinion, you cannot go past owning a REAL
colour computer. For preference, get a Colour Computer 3 with 512K of memory
and a colour monitor.

The emulators, as good as they are, just don't cut it.

SECONDLY:
Use google to search for, and then read the many documents available for
this computer of ours. Some of the FTP sites and Web sites already mentioned
are a good starting point. It has been my pleasure to make available to the
coco community, all the documentation I have. That is an on-going project.

THIRDLY:
play, play, play. By that I mean, TYPE IN the example programmes, and make
them work; modify them to make them do stuff the way *you* want it. Read the
many example programmes available in BASIC, Assembler, and other languages
for the coco.

When you've done that, by all means, ask questions here.

BUT!!!! Keep the posts SHORT!

I'm considered one of the gurus here (though I dispute that!), and my posts
are USUALLY quite short (this one excepted), unless more details are
required to explain the problem I'm having.

Hope that helps.

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.