[Coco] What are some good starting points for a CoCo noob (me)?

Ries, Rich (S&FS) Rich.Ries at Honeywell.com
Thu Aug 16 10:33:48 EDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Hex Star <hexstar at gmail.com> wrote:
> So what I think I'll do is unless anyone has any suggestions on
> reading material on the above I'll get out a emulator and see where
> that gets me and ask for help from there. :)

When I started with the CoCo, a real help was the late, lamented Rainbow
Magazine. There had been a project here to scan Rainbows to a CD, but it
seems to be on hold for now. Typing in the programs helped me to LEARN
CoCo BASIC in a way downloading to an emulator never could.

Also, try to get a real CoCo -- there's something about having an
honest-to-goodness real machine that an emulator cannot reproduce. I'd
suggest starting out with the built-in BASIC, and see how far you can go
with it before you try OS-9. You can also do some simple hardware mods
with a real machine: there was one to bring the reset button to the
front of the machine, and one to show (if I recollect) data flow on the
serial line.

--Rich