[Coco] What are some good starting points for a CoCo noob (me)?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 16 03:19:06 EDT 2007

Hex Star wrote:

> Hello, I would likely to seriously start learning about the CoCo so
> that I can properly answer on topic CoCo questions and thus am
> wondering if anyone on this list has any advice on some good starting
> points for a CoCo noob like me? Thanks! :)

I would normally have said, "start by playing some games" but it would
appear - not surprisingly if you think about it - that the majority of
users on this mailing list are more advanced and are more likely to be
playing with expanded machines with (Nitr)OS-9, and 3rd party hard-drive
controllers.

ie. the bar has been somewhat raised as far as being able to contribute
anything useful to the collective brains-trust. I myself owned a Coco many
years ago but have almost zero knowledge of the sort of things that people
are doing with the coco these days. In a lot of ways that makes me a coco
noob as well...

That aside, given your open remark it would _seem_ to me that you are
interested in "knowledge for knowledge's sake" rather than interested in
the coco itself. Not that I have a problem with that at all, but I
would've thought the impetus to learn would be an interest in the machine
itself, rather than attaining guru status on a mailing list?!?

Speaking for myself, I'd find some aspect of the coco that particularly
interests me and focus on that to start with. Games? Graphics?
Programming? BASIC? OS-9? Pascal?

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that - it's a bit like having someone
learning to read asking what a good book to start with is? :(

Regards,