[Coco] Possible VCC add-ons/additions

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 12 10:39:54 EDT 2007

Paul Fitch wrote:
><snip>
> On the COCO/OS9 hardware side (not VCC's problem at all) it would be nice to
> access floppy disk images on the HD as if they were real Floppys.  Tho this
> is probably not needed as HDB sort of alreay does this.  Or can OS9 not talk
> to the HDB disk images on the HD?

This is a trivial issue which anyone that programs for OS-9 can do on
their own. Cloud-9 already has software that communicates with OS-9
drives in the Disk Basic partition of a .vhd image. I have also written
software that does the seem thing on my real RGBDOS hard drive system
and under emulation.

  All you need to do is add a constant offset to all LSNs when doing
this type of I/O. You can use emudsk.dr as your source code template.
Just add a routine to alter the LSN values. You can either use a fixed
offset or make it a variable taken from the descriptor for the Disk
Basic partition on an HDBDOS/RGBDOS hard drive system. By default, all
.vhd drives have 368,640 OS-9 sectors and at least one 256 drive Disk
Basic section of 161280 sectors. The same is true for real HDBDOS/RGBDOS
hard drives. With a large enough drive, more space can be used for
either OS-9 or Disk Basic.
  I've even written a modification of PCDOS (OS-9 program that reads IBM
type floppies) to read Basic formatted disks from the Disk Basic hard
drive partition.