[Coco] Possible VCC add-ons/additions

Paul Fitch pfitchjr at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 12 08:08:05 EDT 2007

Kudos to Mr. VCC6809 for a great product.

Under VCC, I've noticed some key trapping behaviour that might (maybe) be
considered for adding  to the to-do list.

Under OS9, using some software with os9-windows, ALT-F will activate the
FILE menu.  It ALSO activates the emulators FILE menu.  Can be a bit of a
"Huh?".  Other keys on the keyboard are not trapped by VCC either, such as
the XP WINDOWS and MENU keys.

And now for my unsolicited begging.

1)    You mentioned that you are planning on working on multiple keymap
files.  I'm sitting here looking at my keyboard, and it occured to me, that
MACROS might be really useful.

ie, I have a PRINT SCREEN, SCROLL LOCK, PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN, the number PAD
and all the function keys you don't trap for use with VCC.  And then of
course, theres all the 'extra' keys a modern keyboard can have, like HOME,
MAIL, CALCULATOR,

I'd like to be able to map SCROLL LOCK to a macro that typed "TMODE
PAU=1<cr>".  I find I use that one alot.  Or, map a key to type "display
c<cr>".

Other people will have different ideas about what might be useful, but
think the feature would be appreciated.

2)   I have one of the multi-card USB card readers built into my Windows PC.
One card it can talk to is the CF card.  With Cloud9's SuperIDE w/CF, it
occurs to me that if the VCC could talk to and treat a CF card as a
HARDDRIVE, it might be possible to "move" your harddrive from or to the
emulator and the physical COCO3 with SuperIDE.

Now I'm not talking about a 'virtual HD' image, but actually formatting the
CF card as a COCO/OS9 Harddrive just like Cloud9's hardware does.

 NOTE---> VCC would need to be able to talk to more than one HD at a time,
because we would want to 1st copy the info from the VHD to the CF-HD, and
then be able to use the CF-HD as the primary HD for the emulator.

On the COCO/OS9 hardware side (not VCC's problem at all) it would be nice to
access floppy disk images on the HD as if they were real Floppys.  Tho this
is probably not needed as HDB sort of alreay does this.  Or can OS9 not talk
to the HDB disk images on the HD?