[Coco] [Fwd: Re: CoCo 3 FPGA? (Really long message)]

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Aug 12 09:22:50 EDT 2007

Mark McDougall wrote:
> jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>
>> The 68K also sparks some interests. From  his release notes for 2K7A
>> it looks as if the major portion of th e 68K is now working and
>> functional.
>
> Yes, he worked with MikeJ from fpgaarcade.com apparently and the core
> is pretty complete IIUC.
> [...]
>
> I'd never heard of the MM/1 before a few months ago, when I saw
> mention of it on this mailing list. The implementation would be almost
> trivial once we have a working 68k core - except for the graphics chip
> by the looks of it... interesting... if only there were 30hrs in a
> day... :(

I've often thought that an Atari ST software emulator would be a good
starting point for an MM/1 emulator.  One could start out with an Atari
port of OS-9 and then begin replacing functional units of the Atari
hardware (and their associated device driver and descriptor modules),
one piece at a time, leaving the remaining Atari hardware in place until
it had all been replaced.  OS-9's modular structure should allow you to
have a complete, working system at each stage of the process.  I would
think a similar thing could be done to morph an FPGA ST into an MM/1
work-alike.  And from there to CD-i would be even easier.

JCE