[Coco] Good full screen editor?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Aug 7 00:48:35 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 06 August 2007, Paul Fitch wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'm trying to use Mike Sweets ED 3.1, but I'm not feeling the love.
>> Half the time the buffer gets full before my source gets loaded.  The other
>> half, it loads, but the copy buffer doesn't work.
>>

> TS-Edit, patched to become vi, has always worked well for me, and can be
> launched with a #56k buffer on a coco3.

I second that, though if you don't already know vi, you might find it a
little mystifying.
>> I'm really not wanting to learn how to use the standard edit.
>>
>> In the 10 years I've been away, no one has written a usable full screen
>> editor?  Even basic uSoft NOTEPAD has more functionality than I've seen so
>> far under OS9.  I'm sure that line editors were all the rage in 1979, but we
>> know better now.  Anyone?
>>

> VED by Bob Van Der Pohl, and XED both come to mind as being somewhat better,
> Dynastar works well but handles large files at only 14k at a time which is a
> PITA.

I remarked on VED in a different reply, but I've never used XED.  Might
be fun to try it.  I do remember using SLED, and finding it reasonably
useful before I got VED.  IIRC, SLED can handle files larger than
available memory.

JCE