[Coco] NitrOS-9 instant boot CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 22:52:45 EDT 2007

On Sunday 05 August 2007, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 08:52 PM 8/5/2007, you wrote:
>>Unforch, I haven't seen one that small in quite a while.  When I went
>> looking for a cf card to use for dd-wrt, the smallest I could find was 256
>> megs & that was 6 months ago, probably a gigabyte by now.
>
>How would you use a CF card with DD-WRT?   Btw, for those who might
>not know, certain LinkSys routers are using Linux, making it easy to
>upgrade the firmware to 3rd party wonders like DD-WRT.  DD-WRT has a
>command-line box/field where you can issue commands to the shell from
>your web browser, if I'm not mistaken.

There is a version built for x86, buried in the 'beta' tree on the dd-wrt
download site.  Its running here on an old board with a 550mhz K6-III in it,
running at about 430mhz, in a small tower box with a $3.00 CF adapter on the
end of the the only IDE cable in it.  No floppy, bare bones video that isn't
required since you can admin it with a web browser pointed at it from the LAN
side, where it looks just like the linksys's web pages but with many more
pages and a lot more bells and whistles.  Its been running headless for
months since the monitor went bonkers.

An old mini-tower case, PSU, old x86-32bit mobo with 320 megs of spare dram it
uses about 16 of, 2 quiet fans, in the PSU and on the K6, 3 nics, one of
which is an atheros (linksys) wifi card.  So my lappy, when fired up with
either Xp or linux (99% of the time F7 linux) doesn't even need an ethernet
cable.

Bulletproof firewall, 10% faster than the linksys BEFS41 its replacing.  And I
get wifi, something that's not in the dsl modem I got from vz when I signed
up 3.5 years ago & which they won't replace unless it dies & 30 caliber holes
in it aren't accepted as failure excuses.  And with dd-wrt built in firewall
I've shut the older RH7.3 box I was running just for that off for good.  So
I'm burning about 250 watts less power in here now.

Best kept secret in routers that's not really a secret.  And keeps an old box
out of the landfill for a while yet.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)