[Coco] Nitors9 Shell+ scripting

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 5 14:47:57 EDT 2007

Paul Fitch wrote:
>>From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
>>Subject: Re: [Coco] Nitors9 Shell+ scripting
>>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>>
>>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>I believe, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that the -x
>>>turns off the shells error exit so the script, which the
>>
>>startup file
>>
>>>is, does not exit if the command fails, in this case the
>>
>>"chd /dd".
>>
>>>Conversely, the single x turns it back on.
>>>

>>That is correct. However, the script doesn't make much sense.
>>If /dd is the same drive you booted from, there can't be any
>>need for error checking and the command chd /dd serves no
>>purpose. In normal usage, /dd is either /d0 or /h0. In either
>>case where you boot from /d0 and /dd=/h0 or you boot from /h0
>>and /dd=/d0, I can't think of any good reason for that
>>setting of /dd. Just make /dd the same as the boot drive.
>>

> Robert, I made a new boot disk that that has the h0_dd as the /dd.  So the
> computer boots using the floppy image, then immediately begins using the HD
> for everything else.  I'm not using RGBDOS at this time, but I understand
> that when I choose to change, things will get more straight forward.
>
> I didn't add the code to the startup file, I just modified the starup file
> to iniz some extra windows and such, and there was a change to /dd/sys in
> there, prior to merging the fonts, patterns and pointer files.    Again, I
> didn't know why the -x and x were in the file in the first place, and
> couldn't find any documentation on it.  I did look at both the Level 2 and
> the Nitros9 docs and help files first before I asked anyone.

There is another approach you could use short of using RGB-DOS. Edit
sysgo using dEd looking for /DD and /DD/CMDS. If you change these to /H0
and /H0/CMDS (and verify sysgo), then you will boot from the floppy but
sysgo will look for /H0. No change will need to be made to startup and
when or if you change to an RGB-DOS or HDB-DOS system, you will still
not need to change startup or sysgo.