[Coco] Compuserve archives

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Aug 4 23:14:54 EDT 2007

From: Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com>
> It looks like my idea of writing a script that would add the old
> Compuserve CoCo message areas to the coco3.com forums is going to
> take too much time I need for other projects.
>
> I'm probably going to hire a freelance programmer on a coder site I'm
> a member of.  This means I would post my job, give a maximum
> acceptable bid, and then sit back for (x) number of days waiting for
> the bids to come in.  In this case, a PHP/MySQL/phpBB expert will be
> needed.  On the coder site I'm a member of, there's lots of these
> guys usually bidding real low to win, but I'm going to also consider
> skill and proof of other jobs.
>
> Before I go ahead with this, if there's anyone reading who believes
> they can do this project, reply with your fee and the number of days
> it will take.
>
> Project: you'll take raw ASCII text files containing message headers
> and content from the Compuserve forum archives, and insert each
> thread and message into the appropriate subforum/category in a
> PHP-Nuke forum system (like phpBB).  All topics will be Closed.  All
> details need to be retained like the date posted, the author, the
> time, the message being replied to, etc.

Can you offer a megabyte or so of the data as you have it so we can look over the details involved?  Been a long time (1991) since I looked at CompuServe forum message data, but I do recall it was fairly consistent from 1980 to then, as I used to reformat captured data with Mod 2 Scripsit user keys (macros with no judgement) for megabytes on end prior to printing them.  (Mostly LDOS and Tangent forum data I wanted to keep but of course no longer have, "Three removes equal one fire" and all that).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

Well, if you're gonna buy a ticket on the Titanic, you might as well go First Class.

Captain Audie Murphy, Texas Ranger, in _Roswell, Texas_ by L. Neil Smith, Rex May and Scott Bieser.
http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell/