[Coco] VCC Emu problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 16:14:14 EDT 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007, Darren A. wrote:
>>Subject: Re: [Coco] VCC Emu problems
>>Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:16:50 -0500
>>
>>At 08:34 PM 8/3/2007, you wrote:
>>>I can't seem to use the RAW mode to access 5¼ disks in my 1.2MB drive.
>>> The 720K 3.5" disks work fine however.
>>
>>Is this a laptop with an external floppy drive?  I know that OmniFlop won't
>>work on a laptop, and for whatever reason it can't, maybe the guts of VCC
>>is having the same problem.
>>

>>--
>>Roger Taylor
>>
>>--
>
>One big problem with using a 1.2MB  5.25 inch floppy drive is that the head
>steps at a finer resolution (96 tracks-per-inch I believe). A 5.25 inch CoCo
>floppy has 48 tracks-per-inch, so VCC would need to step the head twice for
>each track. This might work for READING CoCo floppies, but if you WRITE to
>the disk, it only writes on 1/2 the width of the track. This could make the
>disk unreadable on a CoCo 5.25 inch drive.

And don't forget that the 1.2 meg drive spins at 360 rpm, not 300, and that it
expects its data to 500 kilobaud, not 250 kilobaud.  If you can find the
jumper that slow it down to 300 rpm, then its a 100% functional replacement
for a 720k drive.  The comments re the track width are spot on though.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)