[Coco] VCC Emu problems

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 16:10:28 EDT 2007

>Subject: Re: [Coco] VCC Emu problems
>Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:16:50 -0500
>
>At 08:34 PM 8/3/2007, you wrote:
>>I can't seem to use the RAW mode to access 5¼ disks in my 1.2MB drive. The
>>720K 3.5" disks work fine however.
>

>Is this a laptop with an external floppy drive?  I know that OmniFlop won't
>work on a laptop, and for whatever reason it can't, maybe the guts of VCC
>is having the same problem.
>

>--
>Roger Taylor
>
>--

One big problem with using a 1.2MB  5.25 inch floppy drive is that the head
steps at a finer resolution (96 tracks-per-inch I believe). A 5.25 inch CoCo
floppy has 48 tracks-per-inch, so VCC would need to step the head twice for
each track. This might work for READING CoCo floppies, but if you WRITE to
the disk, it only writes on 1/2 the width of the track. This could make the
disk unreadable on a CoCo 5.25 inch drive.

Darren