[Coco] Bad HD cable

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 14:07:48 EDT 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007, Paul Fitch wrote:
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 17:58:36 +0930
>> From: "Briza" <bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au>
>> Subject: [Coco]  Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know
>> To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>>
>> Hi Joel.
>>
>> The drive still spins and is recognised in the BIOS. The
>> problem is the Boot track is gone. I have loaded up Linux and
>> had the drive plugged in and I could access the coco archive folders.
>>  So in the end it was just a simple faulty cable causing me
>> the grief. But still have not attempted to hook up both my
>> drives together yet. with my new boot disk as my Master, and
>> the crashed drive as a slave unit.
>>  The last time I tried them both together. The new drive
>> would not load up again. And at the time I used the faulty
>> cable. So I'm hoping this time with the new cable that it
>> will not corrupt the new boot drive.
>>
>> laters
>>
>> Briza
>
>Dude, I gota ask.  That IDE HD cable that you replaced. Was it a DRIVE
>SELECT cable?  Maybe both of your drives are set to MASTER or SLAVE?
>
>Newer system like to use drive select cables, and the drives are jumpered to
>know this.  Older or generic cables are NOT drive select and require the
>user (that's you) to maunally jumper your drives as Master or Slave.
>
>A drive select cable will generally have different colors for each of its
>two connectors.

And this is a good excuse for me to jump in and emphasize that in either cable
style, the drive to be used as the master drive MUST be on the end of the
cable as it does the scsi-like and _required_ termination.  Automatically,
you don't see it, but its there.  The slave if used must then be on the
middle connector since 'slaves' don't enable their terminations.  In no case
can you put a master programmed drive on the middle connector and leave the
surplus cable hanging in the breeze, its not a matter of if your data gets
scrambled, but when, and its usually sooner than later.

Sitting here reading this thread, I'm wondering if that's what actually
happened here.  Decent cabling, but miss-configured keeps raising the thought
in my mind.  I have had a couple of really cheap cables go toes up, but more
than likely in the one case I have right now, the chipset simply cannot
handle two drives on the same cable, which is the case in the box that runs
my milling machine.  I've had 3 drives and 3 cables in that box trying to
make it handle two drives on cable 0, can't be done, both drives will get
trashed in pretty short order.  Just one drive and its been fine for over a
year.  EMC doesn't need the other 60GB of drive anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)